Friday, March 5, 2021

Step 1 in Organizing a LatinX Theater Event- THE TEXT (Part 1)

                                                             

 THE STEPS:

1. The text

2. The distribution of the roles

3. Introducing the play to the students

4. Rehearsals

5. Costumes and decors        

6. The night of the event


Step 1- THE TEXT

Choose the plays or the texts to adapt into a play. Here s what I do:


                                                              
  • I made an adaptation of the book Ferdinand (Ferdinando) by Munro Leaf (see below). I wrote the play based on the text from the story. 

  • I also made an adaptation of Don Quijote, based on the book below:
              


Things to keep in mind when selecting a play/story:

  • Finding some compelling, funny, interesting, authentic or of historical value plays and stories

  • The complexity of the language and the length of the lines of the characters- preferably avoiding long monologues, since my goal is the story to be presented entirely in the target language and my students are Novice learners from 5th and 6th grade.

  • The number of characters: ideally around 12-14


Ideas for texts:

  • Plays in English or in the target language (preferably written by native speakers for native speakers). If in English you could translate them and have your translation proofread by a native speaker.

  • Texts from children’s books

  • Fairy tales, fables or folk tales

  • Plays written by your students and performed in groups

If you like my post, please feel free to subscribe to my blog. You could also support me through my page at Buy Me a Coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Teach Languages Remotely During The Covid-19 Pandemic (Digital Resources For The Language Classroom)

 Classroom teaching looks very different after Covid-19. We as educators got trainings in using the digital technologies, from Zoom, Google ...